Refuel and give yourself an antioxidant boost with this yummy, healthy blackberry crumble recipe from Fitness & Endurance Ambassador, GB Heptathlete & Gladiator, Lucy Boggis
Not only are blackberries an awesome superfood packed with antioxidants that help keep your skin glowing and ward off those nasty winter bugs, but they are also in season and available to find all over the British countryside.
To help refuel your body with this wonderful autumn fruit and also give you an idea for some great healthy comfort food as the shorter days roll in, here is my recipe for some healthy…. Yes HEALTHY Blackberry crumble! Enjoy!!
- Crumble filling:
- 1 pint glass of fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons honey or vegan alternative (try and make it local pure honey)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Handful of chopped dates (not essential, but adds some sweet chewy goodness!
- Crumble topping:
- 2/3 cup of chunky gluten free oats
- 1/4 cup almond flour (ground almonds)
- 1/4 cup flaked raw almonds
- 2 tablespoons of honey or vegan alternative
- 2 tablespoons cold coconut oil (make sure it’s hard!!)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Mixed seeds (optional)
The way to do it:
Pre heat the oven at 350 degrees. Grease an oven proof dish 8 x 4 in size with coconut oil.
In a pan on a low heated hob, place the berries, honey, lemon juice dates etc. into the saucepan and stir until the mixture starts to bubble. Let it become sticky but still have a slight runniness to it.
Set that aside and begin the crumble topping.
Making sure your hands are cold, place the coconut oil (making sure it’s cold) and using your hands begin to crumble the oats, almond flour and honey together, creating a crumble texture. Add in the almond flakes, seeds and cinnamon.
Pour the berry mix into the oven dish and then add the crumble to the top. I like to drizzle a little more honey on the top and sprinkle some desiccated coconut on there too.
Place in the oven for 40-45mins or until the topping is golden and the berry mix starts to bubble through the topping.
Serve with a dollop of yoghurt or coconut cream.